In Search of Utopia
 Exploring The Hieroglyphics of Our Time

« Hidden Message in Ossama Video Deciphered! | Main | Hypocrisy with a Capital "H" »

October 29, 2004

No Disenfranchisement Going On Here... Move on Folks

milwaukee.gif

Link to the Original Piece

Crossposted to The PBA Site

Milwaukee seems to be a hot spot right now.

Other Coverage in the Blogsphere

Protein Wisdom

and

Say Anything who are of course outraged that Left Leaning Blogs are making the accussation, much less so than that the accussation may be true.

From The Left
Talk Left

Daily Kos

Pandagon

Oliver Willis

Loaded Mouth

Angel with some personal insight.

Now Rob is saying he will eat his hat if this can be proven. Any readers or PBA members in Milwaukee, please give me an update, and any evidence collected.

Update: I just read Protein wisdom post. You want to know what really pisses me off. I get a lecture from a bunch of my right wing friends the other night on the tone of the debate. So I have made an attempt the last couple of days to be at least a bit more civil, but go read the post, and the comments. Please dont bother giving me any more lectures guys. The fact that this is fucking joke to some people shows me just how much they really care about this issue, and their sensitivity to the rights of minorities which may be being stomped on right now. Truce is over, and I am going to say this AGAIN. It aint gonna happen.
Those of you who smuggly sit back and think people are going to be denied their rights this time, and think that by pooh poohing it, we will let it drop... AINT GOING TO HAPPEN! Not again. You want to hear shrill, you want to know anger, you are going to see it in spades this time.
I dont know if this document is legit or not, what I do know is that everyone who is an AMERICAN and not a hyphen Conservative-American, should be concerned about what this represents, and what it represents is a shameful corruption of our constitutional process. I hope that those of you who accept this crap, who excuse it in the name of countering so called Democratic fraud sleep well at night, becuase you are the treasonous ones, you are the ones who spit our constitution and the principals of this country for short term gain, you are the partisans of pessimism. And let me make this clear, those who I am calling out with this message KNOW who you are. You are the ones who believe in your hearts that this IS happening, but who excuse it for the kind of win at any cost that is destroying this country from within..

Good Luck, but I can promise you, the battle will continue to be fought, becuase this time there will be no backing down!

Update II: Now Protein Wisdom questions my outrage. LOL!

In Search of Utopia’s David A. claims to be outraged—outraged!—at the tone of my post. But I don’t believe for a second his outrage is genuine—or else I’d be forced to conclude that David’s a bit daft. Still, even were his outrage real (and he daft), I couldn’t care less. My conscience is clean.

To recap: I made clear that if this flyer actually is the work of moronic Republican operatives, I’d want to be the first on my side of the political divide to condemn it. But I doubt that it is. And in fact, the ridiculous tone of the final visible prohibition listed on the flyer leads me to believe that its about as authentic as David’s righteous indignation.

Please—spit on the Constitution? Treasonous? You wouldn’t be questioning my patriotism, now would you, David...?

First off, I said:
"The fact that this is fucking joke to some people shows me just how much they really care about this issue, and their sensitivity to the rights of minorities which may be being stomped on right now. Truce is over, and I am going to say this AGAIN. It aint gonna happen."

I was mainly refering to the people in your comments section, but if the shoe fits wear it! But a bit of advice, as a Black man who was born in 1960, and saw my own father get beaten fighting for his right to vote, this is no joke to me, and I would say the headline of your post alone indicates you think it is a joke. Know who you are dealing with Jeff, becuase for someone like me, this is no laughing matter. I have not accussed you or anyone else of being treasonous. What I said was "IF YOU BELIEVE this is legitimate, and are willing to pooh pooh it, then yes you are a traitor," so again, if the shoe fits, wear it! I dont know if this document is legitimate or not, what I do know is that if it is, it is an outrage. So please dont question my motives or veracity. Some of you guys will FALL all over yourselves to prove some allegation against Kerry is real... Need I quote the attempt this week to paint Kerry as a Communist Agent? But something like this comes along and none of you are interested in finding out if it is legitimate or not.

Why do I doubt you or any other conservative is going to be doing anything to confirm or dispute this document? What you want is for the issue to simply dissapear, therefore your OUTRAGE that anyone would even suggesst that this is going on. You want to question how I feel? Get to know me before you do... I lived through this shit, and in 2004, I am not about to stand silently by while it happens again. I am not My Daddies type of activist...

Posted by David A at October 29, 2004 10:18 PM

Trackback Pings

To Trackback use the following link:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference No Disenfranchisement Going On Here... Move on Folks:

» Straw Man from Say Anything
Definition of a "straw man" argument: A made-up version of an opponents argument that can easily be defeated. To accuse people of attacking a straw man is to suggest that they are avoiding worthier opponents and more valid criticisms of... [Read More]

Tracked on October 29, 2004 11:39 PM

» Hyperbole? Prove it. from Loaded Mouth
Say Anything takes left-wing blogs to task for linking to this flier, which is supposedly being spread around Milwaukee's minority communities. [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 12:32 AM

» No, seriously. This is how the spittle-flecked left believes conservatives think from protein wisdom
Currently being trumpeted by TalkLeft ("How do they sleep at night?"), Daily Kos ("Voter Supression Time"), Pandagon ("From The 'How Do You Sleep At Night?' Department"), and Oliver Willis ("Black Vote Suppr... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 01:03 AM

» This one's for Gordon... from ratboy's anvil
...who insists that attempts at voter suppression are a conspiracy myth. Here is an example of one I saw via ISOU which he got from here. "Sierra Club organizer Rosemary Wehnes forwarded a flyer she received today from Sheila Cochran,... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 02:34 AM

» An Insomniac's Perusal from DebWire
What else is there to do when you can't sleep besides trek through the blogosphere for some reads? Here are some posts I took notice of this morning: David and Prince highlight some evidence of attempts to disenfranchise black voters in Milwauke... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 06:48 AM

» Left Wing Explodes, Calls Foul from Sortapundit
That was the sound made by a blogger's brain at the exact moment it cracks and lets out a big flood of crazy. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we've reached the point at which the 'They're trying to steal the election!!!!' crowd passes beyond the limits of... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 07:34 AM

» Caging Democracy from mousemusings
'Caging' lists: God Help us if the Democrats Find Out More details about "Caging" and what the Republicans have planned to do. Of course, there is this flyer being passed around Milwaukee black neighborhoods. Outrage is entirley justified. All, an... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 09:18 AM

» Voter Suppression of Blacks In Milwaukee from The Rogue Angel
According to Sierra Club Votes, this flier was forwarded to them by Rosemary Wehnes, who received it from Sheila Cochran, from AFL-CIO Voter Protection. Its been circulating in Milwaukees African American neighborhoods. There has been some speculatio... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 12:48 PM

» Another Call To Arms from Mirthful Ones
More hypocrisy on the voting front as reported by ISOU.... Frankly, I would hope that no one who cares to vote and has paid attention to the issues in this election would believe this flyer. It looks like a [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 03:49 PM

» A Moron Against Voter Suppression from Why Are We Back In Iraq?
Am I a moron for being concerned about acts that might lead to voter fraud, disenfranchisement or voter suppression? Jeff Goldstein at Protein Wisdom thinks so. He is mounting an attack against bloggers like Progressive Blogger Alliance member Dav... [Read More]

Tracked on October 30, 2004 04:16 PM

» On the Road to Disenfranchisement: Suppressing the Vote with Dirty Tricks, Intimidation, and the Courts from RANDOM THOUGHTS on Politics
If you've been paying attention at all, you'll know that both the RNC and DNC are pulling out all the stops to allegedly ensure a fair election. Accusations of voter fraud and intimidation are flying fast and furious though and [Read More]

Tracked on October 31, 2004 09:12 AM

» At the Brink from et alia
Two parallel columns of ptext: one, a variety of columns and news items on vote suppression in Ohio; the other, extracts from the transcript of the Summit County Board of Elections meeting of Oct 28. [Read More]

Tracked on October 31, 2004 04:44 PM

» Trick or treat? from un autre monde
This flyer, which was first discovered by the Sierra Club, is really causing an all-out blogosphere cat fight. Here's what Rob at Say Anything said about it, then what Ezra at Pandagon retorted, while sortapundit and Jeff at protein [Read More]

Tracked on October 31, 2004 11:35 PM

Comments

I saw this somewhere else David. I can't help but think this was some kind of either hoax or joke, though a bad one. Who would think the last sentence is true? That's just absurd.

I also am not familiar with the Milwaukee Black Voters League. Is this what it sounds like and a "club" so to speak for African-Americans? In other words, is the actual league the flyer is headlined with legit?

This just seems to strange to be anything but a bad joke or even a possible hoax. Naturally if it's true and this was handed out then it's more than shameful.

Posted by: Chad Evans [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 29, 2004 10:33 PM

Chad, click the immage for the link. It comes from the Sierra Club website.

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 29, 2004 11:23 PM

As for you David and those prominent bloggers you linked on this subject, I'm glad to see no assertions, assumptions, claims, charges and for now, no baseless accusations have been made against you know who.

Yes, this is at the very least, a good example of such malfeasance wielded in the name of suppression of the Black vote, utilized since my race was finally given that right. Although, I'm also struck by the dubious nature and origin of such a document, I have absolutely no doubt of it's effect if widely publicized within the Black community - cynically I predict, is very good for Kerry.

Posted by: thatcoloredfella [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 01:12 AM

Oh btw, looks like I have banned from La La Barber-rella Land, unless her server is down. But, I doubt it!

Posted by: thatcoloredfella [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 01:26 AM

Part of the racism of the flyer is the in that last line...in the fact that whoever is producing it would assume that Black's reading the flyer would be gullible enough to believe it. The flyer is not intelligent itself, but the sort of intelligence it examples is precisely the sort that spawns racism to begin with. I grew around Detroit and I know the language of racism when I see it...such as that in the comments which David was refering to in his post. The poo poo-ing of this whole issue is racist in itself. Given the rascism inherent to the history of American culture, I can't understand why people would prefer to dismiss this issue as unlikely unless there is a strain of racism involved.

Posted by: cul [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 02:54 AM

What does it say for freedom when more energy is spent suppressing the vote rather than mobilizing the vote?

Posted by: Cyndy [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 10:20 AM

There's no doubt someone's committing a fraud here. The only people who know anything specific about this are from ACT. Hmm...

Liberals believe it's a fraud perpetrated by conservatives to suppress Kerry votes. Conservatives believe it's a fraud perpetrated by liberals to try to stir up emotions and get out the liberal vote. What's new?

Your reaction is just...bizarre. For you, at least. I expect it from some of the other idiots, but I have to say, this is out of character for you.

It'll all be over on Tuesday, thank God. Now, if we can just figure out which Tuesday...

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 10:40 AM

Ah, don't let the bastards get you down. They're getting shrill because BushCo™ are losing.

Oh, great site!

Posted by: Rook [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 12:16 PM

What is bizzare Boyd about me being concerned about this. What is bizzare about a person who has lived through the end of Jim Crow being concerned about it "possibly," being perpetrated again? If it is not a conservative or Republican trick, then I advocate that whoever did it on the left go to jail too. What is bizzare about that?

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 12:28 PM

It's bizarre because you're much more emotional and much less rational than you were only a month ago. That's all.

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 01:12 PM

Boyd, you are a son of the South, and old enough to have seen first hand the things I am talking about. You are also my friend, how do you NOT understand how this would be an emmotional issue for me?

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 01:16 PM

Posted by: Cyndy [TypeKey Profile Page] at October 30, 2004 01:44 PM