In Search of Utopia
 Exploring The Hieroglyphics of Our Time

« Liberal Women Are Sexier! LOL Can You Argue with Amanda? | Main | Thanks! »

September 13, 2004

I am a Gun Owner...

And I believe in the right to bear arms and to use them in defense of one's self and one's property... But REALLY boys... Why the Hell does anyone NEED one of these.....

ak47-2.jpg

I mean what the hell are you defending your home against, the Minnions of the Evil Dead?

Posted by David A at September 13, 2004 03:48 PM

Trackback Pings

To Trackback use the following link:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I am a Gun Owner...:

» Expiration of the "assault" weapons ban from Texas Native
The controversy over "assault" weapons continues [Read More]

Tracked on September 13, 2004 05:09 PM

Comments

What's the problem with that weapon, David. Is it any more lethal than any other semiautomatic rifle? Granted, it's got a big magazine, so fine, just for the purposes of discussion, let's keep the 10-round limit on the magazine.

That said, how is this weapon going to kill you any deader or faster than another semiautomatic rifle?

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 04:56 PM

Boyd, I understand. I had an AK-47 from the Contra Wars when I lived in Costa Rica the first time. A gift from my Father-in-Law, but that wasnt my point. My point is, WHY do people need them, especially since Law Enforcement does not want them out there.

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 05:15 PM

You make an over-broad statement by saying "Law Enforcement does not want them out there." I would counter with the argument I read somewhere, it escapes me where right now, that the opposition from law enforcement is more likely a political issue. LE leaders must either be elected or they serve political masters, so politics necessarily comes into play.

But my question stands: what characteristic of so-called "assault weapons" makes them more dangerous, especially if we grant the most substantive issue of limiting magazines to ten rounds? Bayonet lugs? I feel you would have to admit this is ludicrous. A pistol grip? How does that make a rifle more dangerous? I suspect that people who believe this is a more lethal characteristic have absolutely zero understanding of what it's like to fire a rifle. A flash suppressor? It limits the "flash blindness" that the shooter would suffer at night, but it certainly doesn't make the shooter invisible at night.

Please, give me a rational, fact-based reason why these weapons should be banned. I say it all the time, and no one has ever provided a reasonable response: How will one of these banned weapons make you any deader any faster than any other non-banned semiautomatic rifle?

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 05:42 PM

Boyd, that was not my point, and you still havent answered my question. Dead is dead. You can I assume kill someone with a can of RAID, but my point is WHY does anyone need one?

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 05:49 PM

As I responded in to your comments on my blog, following the principles espoused in our Constitution, we should be free to do whatever we want unless there's a very good reason to limit that freedom.

A semiautomatic rifle is just that; no more, no less. The anti-gun crowd talks of the dangers of what they call "assault weapons," but they never detail what those dangers are, or how the so-called "assault weapon" exposes those dangers more than non-banned weapons.

Give me a reason to take our freedom away. That's the principle this country was founded under.

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 09:26 PM

Okay Boyd, I respect that. I respect your reasoning. I dont really have that strong an objection to the principle, I just dont understand why someone would want one. I mean these are not hunting weapons, they are desighned to kill, and other than that, I dont get why someone would need or want one. But then there is a lot of shit I dont need, like the three cell phones I have or the three Palm Handhelds

Posted by: David Scott Anderson [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 13, 2004 09:57 PM

Weapons aren't designed differently to kill people or animals. These "assault weapons" look scary — that's it.

And in regards to having a lot of stuff I don't need, all I can say is, "Amen, brother!"

Posted by: Boyd [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 14, 2004 06:50 AM